Chunky Portabella Beef Stroganoff
Giorgio's Recipe for Chunky Portabella Beef Stroganoff
1-1/2 lb beef top round steak, sliced into cubes
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cans of Giorgio® or Pennsylvania Dutchman® Chunky Portabella Mushrooms, drained
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1 cup full-fat sour cream, room temperature
12 oz. wide egg noodles
What to do:
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.
- Season the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and ¾ teaspoons black pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring often, until the meat is just browned. Do not overcook! Transfer to a plate
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the skillet.
- Lower to medium-heat heat and add the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the onions are beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour and stir for 15 seconds.
- Add in the broth and bring mixture to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits in the skillet.
- Mix in the sour cream and stir until the sauce is smooth.
- Add the beef and any juices from the plate to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is barely simmering. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the package directions in boiling water al dente. Remove from heat and drain noodles.
- Return noodles to the pot. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and stir until the butter has melted.
- Serve the beef Stroganoff over the noodles.